Friday, January 18, 2008

Raw Mueslix

This is a pretty flexible recipe. I start out with about 8 cups of rolled grain (oats, rye, wheat, barley, whatever you like). Lately I've just been using instant oats--the kids seem to like straight oats better, and the smaller flakes soak up rice milk more easily. (My goal is to eventually flake my own & refrigerate them--but for now, it's from the grocery store.) Then I add a cup or so of a bunch of different fruits and nuts. Here are most of the things I've used:

  • Dried pineapple dices

  • Raisins

  • Dried Currants

  • Dried Cranberries

  • Dried Mango dices

  • Raw sunflower seeds

  • Chopped pecans

  • Sliced almonds

  • Raw Chinese pumpkin seeds (they're the green ones)

  • Chopped raw cashews

  • Millet (gives a fun, popping kind of crunch and lots of nutrition)

  • Flax seed


The basic proportions are 2/3 rolled grains to 1/3 fruits & nuts. The list above are things I've used because they're readily available at the places I shop (two health food stores, a couple of grocery stores, and Wal-Mart). Take a look around and see what's available where you live, and experiment. One of the most important things, though, is that you try to get dried fruit without sulfur, sugar, or other added chemicals. It's tricky to find cranberries without added sweetener, so just try to find some that are less sweet than Craisins, or at least use dehydrated cane juice instead of refined sugar. I wouldn't recommend adding roasted or salted nuts to this. They overpower the other flavors in the cereal.

This can be served cold, with your favorite cereal beverage (we like rice milk or oat milk), or you can add a little hot water and then your milk of choice. I personally like it cold with plain or vanilla yogurt poured over it. Either way, it's a great way to start the day. (Or get through the afternoon. ;o)

No comments: