Monday, November 30, 2009

Easy Peasy Raw Bowl of Comfort

So, the Principled Chef has gone raw. In honor of this shift in nutritional fare, I'm going to post one of my favorite recipes. More recipes will come, as I'm building a repertoire of simple favorites.

This is what I had this morning, but I think I'll use it for lunch or dinner in the future, as I missed my fruity green smoothie. ;o) The ingredients sound a little strange, but when you get them all together, it's so yummy, and really reminds me strongly of "regular" cereal. It's as satisfying as bread used to be . . .

Easy Peasy Raw Bowl of Comfort*

1 T flax seeds
2 T sesame seeds (I like brown)
2 T sunflower seeds
1/2 ripe banana
Cereal liquid of choice (I like vanilla rice milk, but go with what you like--even just hot water if you wanted something warm on a cold day.)

Grind the seeds together in a blender, coffee grinder, etc. I like it ground pretty well, but stop before it solidifies into sunflower seed butter. Put it in a bowl, add the banana and rice milk, and enjoy.

You can sweeten with honey, etc., but it really doesn't need it with a good banana. A little banana in each bite, and you can taste the lovely, clean, nuttiness of the cereal along with the banana. When it's sweetened, I can't taste the seeds as well, and it's not as satisfying for me.

*Adapted from a privately-published local recipe book, Eating Your Way Back to Health: A Guide to Anti-Inflammatory Cooking, by Jessica K. Black, ND

No comments: